Convention Class – Thai Massage
Supplies and Equipment
Stretchy loose workout clothing, long pants, capris or kneeling shorts
One pillow and pillowcase
Classroom: Garden Room 104
Classes begin promptly at 9:00 am Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
James Peckham has been a full-time professional massage therapist since 1991 where he started in Santa Fe, New Mexico with a 1000-hour massage program. Since 1996, James has passionately devoted himself to Thai massage. During six study-tours to Thailand, he studied with and completed apprenticeships with top Thai master teachers. After practicing Thai massage for five years, he was approved as an instructor in 2001. He is an Instructor and Registered Thai Therapist with the Thai Healing Alliance International (THAI), the professional association for Thai massage. He has been a member of THAI at the highest level since its inception in 2006. James created the Thai massage program at Ten Thousand Waves, a world-class destination spa, and has been the resident Thai massage therapist at Ojo Caliente Spa. In addition, he has taught Thai massage extensively around the United States, and many students travel to study with him.
Participants will learn Thai massage techniques and protocols selected from the 64-hour Thai massage basic certification course. You will learn to give a 50- to 80-minute customized Thai session. This experiential Introduction to Thai Massage will be taught in a safe and gentle learning environment, and will be rewarding and worthwhile, whether you choose to continue studying Thai Massage in the 64-hour course, or simply to broaden your understanding of this wonderful, one-of-a-kind form of massage.
You will experience the unique and comprehensive Thai approach to massage and bodywork, which is with inspiration and creativity. Thai massage is the bodywork component of traditional Thai medicine, which includes herbal remedies and a mind-body-spirit approach to healing. It differs from Indian Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- To work effectively and comfortably on a mat on the floor, with clients clothed.
- To combine pressure points, compression, joint movements, and stretches, to engage deep layers of muscle and myofascial tissue, and relieve clients’ physical pain and stress.
- On clients in more positions than on the table, in supine, prone, side-lying, inverted and sitting positions.
- To effortlessly use body weight for the maximum therapeutic benefit of our clients, and to save our bodies with sustainable body mechanics using our feet, knees, forearms and hands.
- To add your own special blend of mindfulness, loving-kindness and healing intentions (that you already bring to individual massage practices).
After you’ve done much practice-practice-practice outside the classroom and you will develop your own personal style of deep massage and graceful moving meditation. All are welcome to join in this unique class, as we think outside the table-box and take our massage practice to the next level — on the floor, connected to the Earth.